The list that stops a nation - Australia's Biggest PR Disasters of the Year - is out and in an unprecedented achievement, Qantas won three of the top 10 gaffes of 2011 when the list was released by social networking tracking site Cyber Chatter. It's never been done before and it is hard to see how anyone could ever do it again but, then again, Qantas is still with us and 2012 is a brand new year. Who would bet against them? So, here it is, Australia's Biggest PR Disasters of the Year together with links to news.com.au for anyone who missed the stories first time around.
1. The Qantas grounding inconvenienced and angered a nation. People are still waiting for refunds yet CEO Alan Joyce still has a job.
2. "Qantas Luxury" Twitter scandal. The plan was to get people tweeting good things about Qantas. They got thousands of complaints.
3. Troubled footballer Brendan Fevola's contract termination with the Brisbane Lions ends up in court.
4. Tony Abbott freezes during a TV interview with Channel 7's Mark Riley in the "shit happens" tape.
5. Qantas "golliwog" social media promo causes a race brouhaha.
6. Ricky Nixon and the fallout from his unseemly association with a teenager.
7. Indigenous writer Larissa Behrendt describes bestiality program as "less offensive than Bess Price", an Aboriginal woman in favour of the Northern Territory intervention.
8. Kyle Sandilands goes on a personal vendetta against a journo. Austereo loses more than 20 advertisers and the shock jock is forced into a humiliating apology.
9. Australian Defence Force cadet is violated when she is filmed having sex.
10. Gasp Jeans become a mockery after their startling email response to a customer complaint goes viral.